Jaw Couplings by Shreecon Gear : Series SGJW
Jaw couplings are popular because they are versatile & robust. They truly are and make for an excellent general all-purpose industrial power transmission coupling. What makes Jaw couplings Distinct from others?
- They operate in a wide band of temperatures
- Can handle angular misalignment
- Can handle reactionary loads due to misalignment
- Have good torque to outside diameter capability
- Have good speed capability
- Good chemical resistance (spider dependent) & Decent Dampening Capability.
A basic jaw coupling is made of three parts: two hubs, generally bored to a clearance fit tolerance, and an Elastoplast insert. These inserts, sometimes referred to as spiders, are designed to last a long time, but do eventually need to be replaced.
Jaw couplings are fail-safe. While, you should periodically check your jaw coupling spiders for wear and replace them. Jaw couplings are ubiquitous and low cost relative to other alternatives. Jaw couplings are also considered maintenance-free as they require no lubrication. Unlike gear, grid, or chain couplings that require periodic reapplication of grease as long as the spider remains intact, a jaw coupling will continue to work without additional maintenance required.